Apr 1, 2014

Amy

It wasn't until I was an adult and had a move under my belt before I realized just how true the old saying 'everything happens for a reason' is.  I've blogged about it before.  I feel like our move to NY happened to show me how strong I really was.  Being a 'single mom' to an infant before we were reunited in NY and then just making that initial, super hard move away from Ohio....both just showed me how much I could handle and how much strength I had.  Then, we moved to Arkansas.  I feel like I blogged about this, too, but I've always said the move to Arkansas happened so that I could meet Amy (the first Amy....apparently all the great people I meet are named Amy!).  She and I were instant friends and it felt SO good to have someone here that I could connect with so much.  There was a reason that we both moved here around the same time, with boys that were similar ages, and joined the same playgroup.  We still miss her and her family every day. 

A few weeks ago, I was doing a party in the next town over and drove past a house we had looked at when we were here on our trip back in 2010 to look for a place to live.  It was down to two choices, this house and that one.  I really wanted that house, because it had a neighborhood pool and playground.  And then, it hit me.  There was a reason that house didn't work out.  If it had, we wouldn't have met Amy and Pete.  

Amy was another person that I met and felt completely at home with.  We are alike in so many ways and I know I can be totally honest with her and not feel judged.  Again, just like with the Faminis, it's so nice to have friends that Jarrod and I both like spending time with and our kids get along.  And it's pretty awesome that it takes less than a minute to get to their house!  
It's a special bond.

I think I've shared some about Amy's story here, but I'm not sure...  Long story short, just 6 months after we met them, Amy gave birth to triplets very prematurely.  When you live far from your family, you understand what fears go through someone's head when something comes up that you'd normally rely on family for.  We were so glad that we had Amy and Chris to watch Gavin for us when Riley was born because I wouldn't have trusted anyone else with him.  Needless to say, their world was turned upside down, and without their family nearby, Jarrod and I were more than happy to take care of things here for them so that they could focus on their family, both immediately after the birth and in the months that followed while they were in St. Louis with Maggie.

It hit me that night that there was a great reason we ended up in this house.  If we hadn't, I wouldn't have met Amy and we wouldn't have formed such a great friendship.  Our kids wouldn't have met Harper.  And we wouldn't have been able to take care of their home and pets while they were gone.  In the end, that's what friends do.  All we did was help our friends, like we think anyone would've done, but had we ended up in that other house, none of that would've ever happened, and I never would have known what an incredible woman Amy is.

1 comment:

Amy said...

Hi! Crying over here in CA about how much I miss you and how amazing you are and how lucky Amy #2 is to have you. xoxoxoxoxo