Feb 20, 2010

It's very surreal....

When you read this post, Gavin, Jarrod, and I will be on a plane heading to Arkansas to look for somewhere to live. It's still so surreal.... When I say 'Arkansas' or see it on a map, I still can't wrap my mind around the fact that we're moving there. Seriously???

I've had a lot of people asking me lately if I'm really ok with this move. Honestly, I am. I'm in a completely different place with this move than I was when the New York move happened. When Jarrod first brought up the chance to move to Arkansas, I thought he was crazy....didn't want anything to do with it. But, in true Jennifer-fashion, I tend to react quickly before weighing the options and thinking things through. The more we talked about it, the more I looked into it, the more I realized it was the best option for our family, even if it meant we'd be in Arkansas.

I'm not saying that I'm not sad that we're getting farther from home. I wish we were closer to our families all the time. When I have Tastefully Simple parties and see hosts there with their moms or sisters, I miss mom and Megan so much. When Dad texts me to tell me how good he's doing with this workout and diet, I wish I was there to hug him. I miss seeing Tyler and Briana grow and wish I could be there to help with their homework occasionally like Megan does. (Though something tells me she's probably better at it....I only taught first grade....they're 6th and 7th graders now - probably over my head! Isn't that what Bri told me once? Megan was smarter because she was in college and I only taught first grade!) When I hear stories about Shaw, I wish I could be there walking down the hall....spending lunch with Sara and Tori, doing recess duty with Lindsay. I wish I could be there for the baby get togethers when I hear that Lindsay, Jill and Megan got together. But, our life has taken us on a different journey, and I'm bound and determined to make the most of it!

My family and I have done a fabulous job keeping in touch. This blog is a great way for them to see what we're doing here in NY, and I plan to keep it going in AR. We talk on the phone almost daily, and thanks to Skype, they get to see Gavin quite often. I think we've even done a great job getting to see one another. I think the one of the hardest parts is that some of my friends and I aren't in touch as often as I thought we'd be. I imagined lots of emails, texts, and phone calls, and that hasn't exactly happened. But, again, I think that's a part of growing up and moving away....things change. I know, even if we aren't in touch as often as I'd like, that we'll always be friends no matter what. The distance just makes things a little more difficult.

So, now that this has gotten very long, I'm going to stop. I just wanted to let everyone know how I was feeling. Yes, I miss you all terribly. I think about you all EVERYDAY. In a perfect world, we'd all be closer together again. But, I am ok with Arkansas. I'm actually looking forward to it! I'm so excited to move into a house with a yard that Gavin and I can play in this summer while Shirley runs around. I'm looking forward to being in a neighborhood where we can take walks and get to know other families. I'm anxious to see a different part of the country that we'd otherwise never visit. I know if we hadn't moved here, I never would have experienced the great things Rochester and Upstate NY have to offer and met the great friends I've made here. I'm so excited to see where this move takes our family; it will bring us even closer and make us even stronger.

1 comment:

mommy curlz-n-cars said...

Jen, I so admire your positivity and beautiful outlook on life. You really know how to make lemonade if you know what I mean. I just can't wait to hear the southern accent!! I remember a couple of little neieces of mine making fun of the way their Aunt Shannon talked when she went away to school. Also, welcome to the SEC, but please do not fall into a Razorback trap. No one should wear a goofy looking wild hog on their chest! We love you so much and know that you will "BLOOM wherever you are planted!"